Sunday, 16 March 2008

Croc crisis!

The title says it all. Maya has been having a little shoe crisis recently.

The background of this is that last summer, when we were in the U.S., we bought Maya two pairs of crocs. One in her size and one to grow into. She quickly outgrew the first pair, and then toward the end of last summer starting wearing the bigger pair. As our luck would have it, one of the crocs fell off her foot somewhere in Zamalek as she was riding in her stroller (although Maya is convinced she lost it in a taxi). Anyway, since summer was nearing an end and because the stores in Cairo were not stocking crocs because the weather was starting to get a little chilly, we never replaced the pair of crocs.

Meanwhile, Maya saw that all the kids at the club in Little Amreeka (our new neighbourhood that we will move to soon) have crocs. And they would take them off and leave them at the edge of the playground to play in the sand pit. And, you guessed it, Maya started trying to reappropriate those crocs. Of course, we couldn't let her steal other people's shoes, so we had to intervene. Maya was very upset and let it be known. Curses to that silly U.S. government employee lady who suggested I just order a pair of cheap shoes for her from Target! As IF! Clearly, if I could have done that, I would have!

Anyway, fast forward to today, Maya dug out the single pairless croc and has been insisting on wearing it every day. She wears a purple croc on one foot and a pink sneaker without socks on the other. She will not even let us BRING the matching pink sneaker from the pair to the park for fear we could secretly take away the croc and make her wear two pink sneakers. And now she tells us "Maya want two crocs"!

But a friend has shown us some pity (thank God!). Maya's friend S's mom is going on a trip to Britain next week and offered to deliver us some crocs! So Maya is going to get a pair of fire-engine red crocs in a couple weeks, just in time for the start of summer! Yeah!! Maya will be so happy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you make up "Little Amreeka"? Or is that real? It's fantastic either way.

CINDY... said...

I made it up. But I'm sure I'm not the first!!

Anonymous said...

A taxi driver asked me the other day if I wanted to go to the Madrassa Amreeka. Heh.

whatever_heather said...

Cute story!
Crocs are so cute on little kids.