Tuesday, 25 March 2008

Potty training ... for real!

Yes, we have finally decided to potty train. Maya has been getting a bit resistant aboout wearing diapers recently, since her same-age friend S. is now out of diapers as are (obviously) Bug and Giggle of egypt4 fame. Maya is clearly feeling the peer pressure.

For me it is a bit of a relief because lately she has been insisting that I change EVERY diaper. She seems to have adopted a no boys alloyed policy in the diaper department, and I am not a real big fan of that idea. Plus she is just so squirmy.

So today we ditched diapers. She only wore a diaper at naptime, and now of course at bedtime. All the rest of the day she wore panties. And every time she went in her potty she got to pick a "potty treat" (read: sticker) from a special potty training grab bag. The results were mixed. She was accident-free all morning until T. arrived. But then she apparently had a lot of accidents during the day, which apparently prompted some crying on her end. We might ask T. tomorrow to be more forceful about having her sit on the potty every 30-40 minutes or so, even if Maya claims she doesn't need to go. Anyway, Maya also did pretty well again in the evening, with only one accident (and that was when she was in time-out and mad at us -- so clearly it was a "revenge" accident).

When I asked her at the end of the day how potty training went, she said it was "nice". She also got a little upset about putting a diaper on to go to bed. She wanted to wear panties. So I think she is pretty ready for potty training, but it will take a little time.

P.S. -- I very rarely put Maya in dresses, but they are super for potty training because I don't have to change her clothes every time she has an accident. Just a tip for anyone else going through this now.

No comments: