Sunday, 16 December 2007

Getting Ready for Christmas






Here are some photos of Maya getting ready for Christmas. She had a big day yesterday. We went to the park with grandma and grandpa, then came home and decorated the Christmas tree, then made Christmas cookies.

Maya loved making Christmas cookies. We gave her her own piece of dough, which she rolled, cut, smeared, licked and tasted. Fun! Meanwhile Grandma Jan and I actually made the cookies. Maya got to decorate them later with some frosting we had found at the grocery store.

Speaking of decorations, we had a terrible time finding stuff to decorate the cookies with. We called the local grocery to see if they could deliver us some decorations. We asked if they had either sprinkles or food coloring so we could make some colored sugar. They said they had white sprinkles and coloring for food. So we said, OK great, please deliver. What actually came to our door was white asparagus (the white "sprinkles") and turmeric powder (the "coloring for food").

Meanwhile, I had gone to the big grocery store by myself. I couldn't find any sprinkles or food coloring. But I did find some frosting in a tube. So that's what we used to decorate the cookies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found food coloring! The Miriam Market in Maadi has yellow, blue, green, and yellow. I found some yellow earlier today at the Alfa Market, but Miriam had them front and center at the register. He knows his crowd.

I know it's too late for this year, but maybe for next?

CINDY... said...

Wow. Thanks! Good to know!! Maybe we will make a trip out there to look for some -- though I'm not sure if we'll be making another round of cookies before christmas!