The grandparents have now gone off for a few days to see Petra in Jordan. I think they will have a great time there, and Petra is seriously cool. And now I am back at work for three days so my Muslim colleagues can take some time off for the Eid al-Adha holiday here. But the grandparents will be back in time for Christmas, and I will take some more time off when they get back.
But I wanted to write a note about the benefits of having my dad around. I sent him an e-mail before he came about all the problems in our apartment. And, one by one, he is fixing them for me. He has already fixed the drawer to Maya's dresser, which broke over a year ago when it was shipped to Cairo and which we never had time to fix.
He has also installed new metal slides in the drawers of an Arabsesque cabinet we bought here that had been essentially useless to us because the wooden slides it came with broke the first or second time we used the drawers. It is so nice to be able to use our furniture.
Next on his list is our bed. Maya likes to play this game of "Let's throw Lalla behind the headboard and make mommy or daddy get it". And to get Lalla, we would have to push the bed away from the wall, get the little bunny, and then push the bed back. That seriously weakened the bed joints, and one day the bed collapsed. Mike fixed it, but I have always been slightly wary of the bed since then for fear of collapse. So I am quite happy that my dad is here to fix things for me.
My mom has been quite helpful too. In addition to baking cookies with Maya, she has also volunteered to sew Dora the Explorer's head back on...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment