Saturday, 5 January 2008

Maya loves Corduroy!

OK, first I apologise for going awol for the past week. I went back to work after being off for about two weeks and it's been crazy busy.

Maya is all of a sudden starting to get into storybooks. As in actual stories with real plots. Previously, she was only interested in picture books. She liked books with pictures and catchy text that were about things -- say tugboats or puppies for example -- but wouldn't sit still for an actual book with a storyline.

The other day she pulled Corduroy off the bookshelf and asked me to read it to her. I opened the book up with the full expectation that within two pages she would be wriggling off my lap to find a different and more action-packed picture book. But she didn't! She sat through the whole story and was completely captivated. The next day, she talked about Cordoroy and asked to read Corduroy again that evening. So we read it again! And she was captivated again.

She talked about how Corduroy went upstairs (up the escalator in the story) and downstairs again. And she talked about how he lost his "belly". (She means his button but thinks it should be called a belly, as in a belly button...) But it is clear she is actually following the story!

So I tried some other books -- the Rainbow Fish and A Mother for Choco -- and she sat and listened to those as well. OK, well she didn't like them as much as she liked Corduroy. But still, I am so happy that we can move on from picture books to books with simple stories!

Anyway, we tried again with Corduroy last night and she wasn't interested and claimed to be "scared" of Corduroy. Umm hmmm... But I think she was just trying to delay bedtime, so it doesn't count.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I'm actually not a huge fan of Rainbow Fish, either...but have you tried any Robert Munsch books? He's one of my favorite authors and kids really relate to his stories. When I was an elementary school librarian, my pre-schoolers and kindergartners sat through them. Some of my faves are "Mortimer," "The Paperbag Princess," "Stephanie's Ponytail," and "Something Good."