Friday, 18 January 2008

Cookie Dough!!!

I decided to make the recipe my mom sent me for freezer cookies so that we can have some quick activities to do with Maya after work or when we're bored at home. So the other day after work, I got out the mixer and we set up shop at the table.

First we had to call to get some ingredients. We were almost out of butter, and we wanted some M&Ms so that we could put them in our cookies (given the unfortunate absence of chocolate chips from the store shelves). So I got everything out and ready and we started mixing in the ingredients. We were doing fine until we got to the part about adding brown sugar. We don't have traditional American brown sugar here, but we do have brown castor sugar, so I had decided to use that instead. But when I opened the box, what was inside was individual packets of sugar -- you know, like what you get when you order a cup of tea at a coffee shop. So I started ripping open all the individual packets and putting them in the measuring cup while Maya was going insane waiting to add it to themixing bowl. Finally, I just gave in and used white sugar... Oh well.

So then we got to the mixing part, which Maya loved. She dipped her fingers in and got a taste of the cookie dough. I wasn't too pleased due to the raw egg in the batter. But honestly I didn't have much control over it. Oh yeah, and she got to lick the mixer thingy.

Anyway, we split the batter in two, so we made some batches (for freezing) that would be sugar cookies, then we added M&Ms to the other batches. After I added the M&Ms to the second batch, Maya calmly got down from the table, walked over to the cabinet, got out a plate, walked back to her chair, put the plate on the table, climbed up on the chair, looked up at me and said: "I put it."

Then she reached into the mixing bowl and grabbed two fistfuls of cookie dough to put on her plate. And it was so fast I had no time to react. I did manage to get most of the cookie dough back into the bowl, but she also managed to get a fair amount. Yuck!! I mean, cookie dough is tasty, but that is just way too much.

5 comments:

Tarah said...

I don't think one can ever have too much cookie dough. I have noticed with age that I can't eat as much. :)

Anonymous said...

Our girl is resourceful, not to mention independent, and she certainly knows her own mind! I can't wait to bake cookies with her, too!/ G'ma L.

Anonymous said...

Momma Cindy, don't you know that "making cookies" (or brownies) is just code for eating the batter?

I could usually have another dozen cookies made if I didn't eat so much of the batter :)

D said...

I'm assuming this is a Mommy-brag about her amazing manners and classiness.

I'd have just eaten the dough straight out of the bowl and not even thought about getting a plate.

CINDY... said...

Yes, you are all right! But in defense, I was just thinking about what could be in the raw eggs -- salmonella, bird flu! And I was wishing we had pasteurized eggs like in the US, or egg beaters!

After my little dispute with Maya over the cookie dough, Mike took her aside and taught her to say: "Mommy, I'm just being a kid!"

OK, OK. So next time we're going to make a little cookie dough with no eggs, so I can let her eat it without freaking out!