Several of Maya's books are in book detention. Can you believe it! There are two categories of book detention: Scary books and annoying books (well some of the annoying books are books that are really cool but that have just been read too much recently).
The list of banished scary books are:
1) Llama Llama Red Pajama -- Now some of you might ask how such a wonderful and cute book could be scary. But you see, in the book, Mama Llama goes downstairs, and it takes her a dang long time to come up when little Llama calls. Maya used to love this book (and so did we), but now that she actually understands it, she is terrified of it. And Maya also relates a little too much to baby Llama. For example, when I try to leave her room at night, even when Mike is staying with her, she looks up at me in a pitiful way and solemnly says: "Llama Llama scared." So the book is in detention for a while.
2) Llama, Llama Mad at Mama -- Why? Because while this book is not scary, it reminds Maya of Llama Llama Red Pajama!
3) Corduroy -- Well, in this book, Corduroy goes upstairs alone and gets scared by the night watchman. Maya doesn't think Corduroy should go wandering around the department store, and she gets very upset when he does. And it scares her that poor little Corduroy is all alone at night.
4) Where the Wild Things Are -- Wow, we didn't even get past the first sentence in this book before Maya started totally freaking out. This book is way too scary for imaginative toddlers in my opinion! I think it will be in book detention for a long, long, long time.
OK, those books are in book detention for being scary. Other books are in temporary book detention for being annoying. They are:
1) If You Give A Mouse A Cookie -- Why? Well, because I have had to read this book to Maya every night for the past three months. I love the book, and it is currently Maya's FAVORITE!!! And it is not scary in the slightest! But let's be honest, there's only so much mouse a mommy can take. Oh yeah, and did I mention that our Mouse Cookie book came with a CD?? Yep, that's right! In addition to reading it, we also listen to it on the CD player, and sing along with it, and play little mouse cookie games, and dance to it. I could go on....
2) The Chocolate Covered Cookie Tantrum -- Why? I swear this book actually gave Maya the idea that if she wanted something and cried long enough, she would get it. The day after I first read her this book, she started having massive temper tantrums, and we are still to this day dealing with the repercussions. Can I just ask, why does the temper tantrummy toddler get her cookie just a couple short page flips after her temper tantrum. Oh yeah, it's supposedly after dinner by the end of the book. But what toddler is going to notice a slight technicality like that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Can grandparents take Can You Give a Mouse a Cookie? out of detention temporarily?/G'ma L.
Oh Yes, Grandparents can take Mouse Cookie, as Maya calls it, out of detention. She actually loves the book. I am the one who needs a break from it!!
I love your idea of book "detention",
sometimes enough is enough. Although,
"Give a Mouse a cookie" is one of my favorites!
I love your idea of book "detention",
sometimes enough is enough. Although,
"Give a Mouse a cookie" is one of my favorites!
I love your idea of book "detention",
sometimes enough is enough. Although,
"Give a Mouse a cookie" is one of my favorites!
Post a Comment