Thursday, 19 February 2009

Shoe frustration

So I was trying to order sneakers online for Mike's parents to bring to Maya for her to grow into. I already ordered a pair of kind of expensive athletic, waterproof, durable sandals for the summer, which was justified because she will probably wear them every day for 6-9 months as I got them slightly big so they should last a long time.

I wanted some inexpensive, durable closed-top sneakers that were either slip-ons or velcro, preferably not in white or pink. I just want to say that it is HARD to find sneakers that are not lace-ups in Maya's size (10.5). And I just want to ask, why? Seriously, are most parents of 3-year-olds honestly buying their kids lace-up sneakers? Because I for one do not want to have to tie Maya's shoes 5 million times a day. And I don't think my independent-minded daughter really wants to have to have her mommy/nanny/teacher tie her shoes. So who ARE these people buying lace-up shoes for 3-year-olds? Are their 3-year-olds honestly able to tie their shoes??

Also, what is with the white shoes? Even if they are cute to begin with, they are going to get dirty so fast. I didn't want pink either since I let Maya pick the color of her sandals and she chose purply pink. But seriously, white and pink are almost all that is on offer.

Eventually, I found a pair of white/grey/blue adidas with a velcro top, after like 2 days of searching the web. And for $18 with free 2-day shipping. I'm very proud of myself!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, I wondered how the shoe saga would be resolved. Now I know. Of course, the time that was spent by all of us looking for these shoes was worth much more than $18. . .
For the record, velcro shoe closures have not always existed. There really was a time when we had no choice but to tie our little ones' shoes more times per day than our own ages (at the time). I will date myself by declaring the joy felt by me & other parents I knew when velcro shoes first came out. It was also a big deal when we realized that we had to start buying tie shoes for our kids so they would learn to tie shoes.
Now think about this one: With all the digital clocks, how do you teach telling time? At least you have a little while to contemplate that one.
I'll be on the look out for the shoes./ L.