Sunday, 14 September 2008

Good news, sad news (for mommy)

So, a week or so ago I was talking with Tibby about Maya's Amharic. We were both lamenting that while Maya understood a LOT in Amharic, she was choosing to respond to Tibby in English most of the time. We weren't sure what her speaking skills really were, or whether her understanding was sort of passive. We decided that it was time to put little pressure on her to actually speak in Amharic.

So we had a little talk with Maya that she needed to actually speak in Amharic to Tibby, and not use English. And that it was OK if she makes mistakes, but that starting the next week, Tibby would no longer respond to her if she spoke in English.

Tibby also agreed to start working with Maya on how to ask how to say words in Amharic that she already knows in English but might not know in Amharic. (As in: How do you say 'XX' in amarinya?)

Maya was a little whiney and not too happy about this talk. But the very next day she actually started speaking with Tibby (almost) exclusively in Amharic. And she has continued all this week. And she is actually speaking much better than we had thought. I am so proud of her.

The sad news is that today when I was listening to Maya and Tibby speak, I realised I can't actually follow the conversation anymore. Previously, I could basically follow it with my own rudimentary knowledge and by listening to Maya's side of the conversation. But now, I can't follow what my daughter is saying anymore. Aaah! I better start working on improving MY Amharic!!

3 comments:

Dave and Rae said...

It's great to hear she hasn't lost her Amharic!

As a fellow adoptive parent, I thought to write and tell you about the new guest home in Ethiopia specifically for adoptive parents and volunteer groups for the benefit of orphans in Ethiopia. Now that it is up and running, we would love to share the vision with other adoptive parents. You can see more at http://www.ethiopiaguesthome.com.

If you would like to post a link, send me an email at dave@ethiopiaguesthome.com and I’ll forward you the information.

Blessings,

Dave McIlrath, MA
Orphan Advocate
Ethiopia Guest Home
More Than a Place to Stay
http://www.ethiopiaguesthome.com

Sarah said...

I am really envious that you have such amazing resources for her Amharic. You probably will start picking up even more now and I'm sure Maya will love teaching mommy some new things.

Stacy said...

oh how amazing ... what a wonderful opportunity for Maya. I think you are a rock start to put just the right amount of pressure on Maya to use Amharic ... nice job mommacita!