The quest for cloth-like Pampers continues in Egypt. The Saudi-produced diapers we like still haven't returned to Egypt. We are super depressed about it. Fortunately, we found some imported U.S. and European replacement Pampers at a big mall in Heliopolis, hidden in a corner. We have just under two packs left and then we will be out. Aaah.
So yesterday we went to our neighbourhood pharmacy to ask the pharmacist when he expects the Saudi-produced Pampers to be back in Egypt. He said two weeks. So we hope we will make it until then. (Yes, diapers are sold in pharmacies here)
But then there was a lady (a customer) at the pharmacy who railed at us for not buying Egyptian-made Pampers, which by the way are plastic and leak like crazy. Plus they cause diaper rash and are really bulky, so it is not as nice for Maya when she is running around. So we told this lady that we just prefer the cloth-like Pampers as they are softer on Maya's skin and she doesn't get diaper rash as much, and that the cloth-like diapers are easier for an active toddler to run around in.
So then she said: "Well you could just put vaseline (yuck!) on her. All Egyptian kids use Egyptian diapers. These diapers are good enough for all Egyptian kids."
We just sort of stared at her, and she then told us if we wanted cloth-like Pampers we should just go get them at the embassy. Huh???
Okay so when we left I was really angry. First of all, I am not rejecting diapers because they are Egyptian. I don't care where they are made. If the Pampers factory in Egypt made good diapers, I would totally buy them. In fact, I would prefer that because it would be cheaper than buying imported Saudi-made diapers. It is not my fault the Pampers corporation chooses to produce awful, leaky plastic diapers at its factory in Egypt.
And it seemed like she thought I was saying my daughter is better than Egyptian kids because I want to use a better diaper. That is reading WAAAYYY too much into things. Just because I don't want her to have wet pajamas in the middle of the night??? Plus, Pampers is not an Egyptian company anyway. It is a western company -- a western company that is choosing to produce lower quality diapers in a developing country. If she is mad at anybody, maybe it should be the Pampers company for deciding that poor kids get plastic...
Anyway, enough of a rant. I am really crossing my fingers that the cloth-like Pampers will be back in Egypt soon. Otherwise we will have to potty train fast!
Monday, 29 October 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You are an intelligent, competent and among the few top world-class citizens know exactly what they are doing/saying and a lovely mother.
Your daughter is lovely and beautiful.
I believe you know about. Just to remind you.
97% of the total fresh water consumption (to human, animals and agriculture) in Egypt comes from the Nile. White Nile comes from Lake Victoria while the Blue Nile (Abay- in Amharic ’The father of all rivers") comes from the Ethiopian highlands.
Although the White Nile seems longer and bigger, it contributes only 14%-5% the Nile water in Egypt. Between 86-95% (depends on the season) the Nile water in Egypt comes from the Blue Nile, which is from Ethiopia.
As you know water is life next to the Air. The biggest problem on other planets such as mars is not the shortage of air but the absence of water. The Egyptians are living from the Ethiopian fresh water they are getting for free without paying even for transportation and giving respect to the Ethiopian people.
Enjoy your (Ethiopian) fresh Nile water in Egypt with the feeling it is your water and you have full right to be there with respect.
Maya, I'm thinking its time to use the potty!
Once you get the hang of it, can you swing on over and give your old room mate some motivation?
Post a Comment