Wednesday, 3 October 2007

Baby Lulu

Maya has a new friend in her life -- but it's not a human friend. It's Baby Lulu!

Maya started talking about Baby Lulu a couple days ago while Mike was in Geneva. Every night at bedtime she would tell me about her daily capers with Baby Lulu. She told me how Baby Lulu went in the car, Baby Lulu played with her, Baby Lulu got scared of something (or maybe Baby Lulu was scary -- hard to tell), Baby Lulu had dinner, Baby Lulu went night night, etc. Maya was clearly infatuated with baby Lulu, but I had no idea who Baby Lulu was.

For a while I thought Baby Lulu might be her one white baby doll, the one our previous neighbour's daughter in Jerusalem gave her. She has been carrying that doll around recently after finding it at the bottom of her toy bin. But when I asked who the dolly was, Maya said: Baby. I said: Baby Lulu? And Maya said: No, Baby!

OK, so we still didn't have a clue who baby Lulu was until yesterday at bedtime when we asked Maya if she wanted to sleep with a different baby doll -- a black doll that sings twinkle twinkle little star and had also previously been known simply as "Baby". Maya saw the doll, smiled and shouted: "Aaaaah! Baby Lulu!

The name is a bit ironic. Lulu is actually the name of Maya's teacher at music class. So I think Maya named the doll after her. I also think the name bears a certain resemblance to another fuzzy friend -- her bunny Lalla.

No comments: