Saturday, 2 June 2007

Mommy and Maya Reunion






I finally flew home from Khartoum on Thursday night. I got home at 11:30 p.m. and Mike brought Maya to the airport to meet me. She was super excited and happy to see her mommy again, and babbled all the way back to the airport parking lot and all the way home in the car. She "showed" me everything we passed on the way home, pointing out buses and birds and planes in the sky.

We let her sleep with mommy and daddy when we got home and that made her very happy. She slept all the way through the night until 8:30 a.m., which is very unusual for Maya.

On Friday morning we drove to Lucille's in Maadi for brunch -- well we got there too late for breakfast really, so we had lunch. Lucille's is our favorite breakfast place in Cairo. They have mirrors on the ceiling that Maya loves and very American decor including stained-glass lamps hanging over the tables. They also have very good American food. Then we drove home and Maya fell asleep in the car, and after lunch we went to the mall because Mike complained that Maya didn't have enough shorts now that it is getting hot out. So we bought her some shorts and let her race around the mall, and we had dinner at a Mexican restaurant -- it is the first to open in Cairo and it is pretty authentic. Anyway, I got my fix of western food and culture after being totally isolated in Khartoum for two weeks and got to spend lots of time with Maya.

Maya changed her music tastes while I was in Khartoum. Previously, she only wanted to listen to Ethiopian music. But then Mike started playing '80s hits to her, and she has started asking for two songs -- Karma Chameleon and Video Killed the Radio Star. Who would have known she's an '80s music girl. She sings along to these two songs. She still listens to Ethiopian music during he day with Tiberh, who I'm not sure is aware of Maya's new vice.

Today Maya was calmer but wanted lots of mommy cuddles. She likes to tell Mike to "chase" her and then she runs to jump and climb on mommy for "protection" while squealing. We took her to her music class today, where she was alternatively clingy and in hyper-independent "mommy go away" mode. Anyway, I am off work tomorrow and then will go back to work on Monday, but I gained three "due days" that I will take later in the summer to go on a nice family weekend trip somewhere, probably to a resort-type family place in Alexandria.

Anyway, here are some pictures that I took yesterday when Maya was "playing" outside with Mike's plants while he was blissfully asleep, and of her digging through my stuff after I got home.

No comments: