Since I know people really have no idea what my actual everyday life is like (well, most people reading from outside Egypt anyway), I thought I'd give a rundown of a typical workday. And I chose today. So here goes:
7 a.m. -- I wake up. I think, wow, did Maya sleep through the night in her room? I don't remember her getting up. I roll over in bed, and there is Maya, sound asleep next to me. I guess she came in sometime in the middle of the night. But I don't remember it.
7:05 a.m. -- I get out of bed. Since Maya's asleep, I want to catch a few minutes of time for myself before she gets up. Plus I want to check on the phone and internet connections, which were cut off on Friday with no warning for lack of paying a phone bill that we habitually never receive. It is now paid, and the line was supposed to be switched back on by morning.
7:06 a.m. -- I hear little feet pitter pattering behind me. I turn around to see groggy Maya. So much for a quiet morning. I ask her if she needs to use the potty. She says no and asks to go downstairs. Meanwhile, daddy is stirring. I look at the internet router, which appears not to be working. I pick up the phone line. No dial tone. Grrrr.
7:09 a.m. -- I look at Maya's hair. Her twists are still in, but they are frizzy and wild because we washed her hair last night. I grab a tub of ponytail holders from Maya's room.
7:10 a.m. -- Maya and I climb down the stairs. She wants breakfast, yoghurt specifically, and so we go to the kitchen and I pull out a strawberry yoghurt. I offer her the choice of peach or applejuice, and she chooses peach. So she gets a glass of peach juice. I take her food to the table, pull the top off the yoghurt and get her a spoon. While Maya eats her breakfast, I sit at the table with her. I check my e-mail on my mobile phone.
7:30 a.m. -- Maya and I goof around a little while Mike takes his shower upstairs and gets ready for work.
8:00 a.m. -- I put Maya's hair into four ponytails. It's really easy this morning because the parts are already basically done because her head is already full of 6-day-old twists. I like the look that twists make when pulled into ponytails. It looks like wild little spiral curls.
8:15 a.m. -- Maya is getting anxious. She starts to call: "Daddy downstairs". But daddy isn't coming so we decide to make a trip upstairs to visit him. When we go up, he is just about ready. I go to Maya's room and pick out some clothes for her. Blue stretchy pants and a striped, long-sleeved T-shirt. Meanwhile, Mike changes her into her diaper. Then we slip her clothes on.
8:30 a.m. -- Finally it's my turn to take a shower and get ready. I hop in the shower, and Mike takes Maya downstairs. But after just a few minutes in the shower, Mike comes up to say he has to leave for work.
8:40 a.m. -- I get out of the shower while Maya runs around wild. I pick out some clothes. I have to dress nicely today for a story so I actually iron my clothes. I get dressed.
8:50 a.m. -- Mike leaves. Maya decides to wash her hands in the sink, one of her favorite activities. I let her play in the sink while I collect a load of "whites" and throw them in the washer, then turn it on. I also stuff some clothes back in my closet -- because our cleaning lady is coming and I don;t want the room to be a total mess. While picking up, I find Maya's red comb -- the one I use to part her hair -- has broken. It needs to be replaced before the next time I do her hair. Aaah!
9:00 a.m. -- Maya is still washing her hands. The doorbell rings. It's Tiberh. I grab Maya and we go downstairs. Tiberh and I play with Maya for a couple minutes, then I continue getting ready for work. I have to make sure I have my press pass, cab money, and a sweater because the place I am going today is habitually freezing due to air conditioner overdrive.
9:30 a.m. -- I leave for the office. I grab a taxi on the street and arrive at the office about 9:45. I turn on my computer and check what is going on in the world. I am supposed to go cover a VIP meeting (sorry, but don't want to go into details of my work on this blog as I';m trying to keep that life seperate!). I find out that the driver we use at the office has called in sick, so I have to take a long and expensive taxi ride to where I'm going. Grrr.
9:45 a.m. -- I remember that I forgot to check with Ayman, our doorman (bowab), about the phone line when I left. So I call Mike and ask him to do it. I know he has Ayman's mobile phone number saved in his phone.
10:30 a.m. -- I head out to the thing I'm supposed to cover, and arrive just on time at 11:30 a.m. But the VIPs are late, so I have to sit around forever. Fortunately, I expected this, so I pull out my book and a diet coke from my bag. I am reading The Big Test, and it is pretty interesting. I want to check my e-mail on my mobile phone, but I had to relinquish my phone before I came in to cover this meeting. So all I can do is read. I read, and read, and read, and read.
3:30 p.m. -- Finally the meeting is finished and there is a press conference by the spokesperson of one of the VIPs. It only lasts five minutes. Not enough for me to write a story about. Very frustrating. But oh well. I find some colleagues and hitch a ride back to my office.
4:30 p.m.-- I'm back at the office. I check to see what else is going on. Not much. I check my work e-mail. Nothing much there either. I call a photographer colleague to see when she wants to schedule an appointment to take pictures on a joint story we are working on. We agree to decide tomorrow morning. Now there's no time left to start any work. I take a look at the feature I'm working on, make a few changes and leave it for tomorrow. Then I edit and send a story by a colleague to our editors in London.
5:00 p.m. -- Time to get ready for tomorrow. I prepare an item that will go out tomorrow that summarises the economic news of the day.
5:30 p.m. -- Then I sent a daily outlook to the editors and send them a message that I am closing for the day and I will be on call. Fortunately, one of my colleagues says the schedule has actually been changed and he will be on call instead of me. How nice! I leave the office, but not to go home. I need to go to the grocery store. Mike is going on a business trip and we have no food.
5:50 p.m. -- I arrive at the grocery store and race through the isles throwing things into my cart. I need to hurry to be home by 6:30 so Tiberh can leave. I remember to get a new comb for Maya to replace the broken one, as well as wet wipes, which we are out of. At checkout, I ask them to deliver the groceries, as otherwise I won't make it home on time. I run out and take a taxi home.
6:27 p.m. -- I arrive home. But the house is dark. I told Tiberh I would be home a little late today, so Tiberh took Maya to church with her to an Amharic service. They are not back yet. I run upstairs and look at the internet router. All lights are lit! The internet is back! I go downstairs for a few minutes of surfing before Maya comes home.
6:45 p.m. -- Maya and Tiberh arrive at home. Maya is happy from all the singing at Tiberh's church. Tiberh tells me that Maya learned how to say: "How old are you?" in Amharic, and knows to answer that she is two, also in Amharic. Then Tiberh leaves and it is time for dinner.
7 p.m. -- The groceries still haven't arrived, and there is no food in the house. So I take a can of tuna fish and a can of corn and mix them together. It's a sort of tuna and corn salad for dinner. Yes, not that great. But it's Maya's bedtime and I don't have time to make anything more complex.
7:05 p.m. -- Groceries arrive. They land in bags on the kitchen floor. Ayman calls up on the phone to see if it is working. I tell him, thank you, it is.
7:10 p.m. -- Maya and I finish dinner, then we run upstairs to put pajamas on. Maya goes potty, then puts her jammies on, then decides to wash her hands. I hand her her toothbrush and she sort of brushes her teeth.
7:30 p.m. -- We read five million stories together while I sit in the beanbag in Maya's room and Maya sits in my lap. We read: Brown Bear, Brown Bear; The Very Hungry Caterpillar; Fire, Fire; Families; and The Family Book.
8 p.m. -- Lights out. Well, except for the very bright nightlight, that is. Mike asks for a backrub, and wants me to sing: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star to her. But when I start to rub her back she decides she actually wants a footrub instead, so I rub her feet and sing to her. She settles down, and then asks for "covers". I put her covers on her and sing a little more.
8:30 p.m. -- Maya is slowly drifting away when I hear the door open downstairs. Mike is home from teaching his class. He comes up and Maya wakes up and has to tell him about her day. I stay for a while, then go downstairs.
9 p.m. -- I put away the perishable goods into the fridge and leave the rest on the floor for Mike. One of the yoghurts I got popped open, so I throw it away.
9:15 p.m. -- Finally, some time for me. I get on my computer to write my blog.
Sunday, 11 November 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Although it's been a year or so (times a few)since I had a two year old, some memories do not fade so quickly. Your day sounds much like any busy working parent's day any place in the world. The immediate environment might be different, but the tasks to be tackled are just the same./G'ma L.
Post a Comment