Saturday, 14 July 2007

Bye Bye Crib, Hello Insomnia

Mike finally packed up Maya's crib and stored it in our storage area, as Maya has expressed zero desire to go back to her crib since she demanded to sleep in her big girl bed two weeks ago. Not that it means Maya is sleeping -- as she is most certainly not sleeping well at all. But she is doing that -- ie not sleeping -- in her bed.

While she has transitioned to her bed, we have lost a lot of sleep progress in this transition. She will no longer simply roll over and go to sleep in her bed, as she had done in her crib. Instead, she is demanding we BOTH stay with her while she falls asleep. And once we are there she resists sleep like crazy. Last night she managed to stay awake until 11 p.m.

After our massive struggle to get her to sleep in her crib initially, it's really depressing to be facing these same sleep battles all over again. We've tried adding a nightlight, stuffed animals, and playing calming soft jazz while she goes to sleep. And all of these improvements have helped -- but only temporarily.

I am going to make her a sticker reward chart for sleeping. I know she might be a little young for this, but she is a smart, perceptive little girl, so I think there is a chance she might go for it... And she loves stickers!! I don't know about the delayed gratification bit though.

No comments: