Wednesday, 31 December 2008

Pluses and Minuses

Just thought people would be interested in the bizarre collection of things I love when I am in the US and miss when I'm at home in Egypt:

1) Flavored soft drinks. Like Diet Vanilla Coke, or Diet Cherry Dr.Pepper
2) TV TV TV-- I get to watch House and CSI whenever I want to. And I have more than just a single channel showing US drama shows, mostly reruns.
3) A fast Internet connection that lets me download TV shows (to watch in Egypt) and upload multiple pictures to my blog in just a couple minutes (as opposed to forever).
4) Mexican food and drinkable tap water (though we do sometimes drink tap water in Egypt)
5) Not getting stared at (too much) while out and about with Maya. And no whispers, comments or rude queries. Plus when I am out alone I am completely invisible (socially that is).
6) The Gap, Old Navy and Childrens Place. Plus the entire Crayola brand.
7) Ethiopian restaurants.
8) Online grocery shopping (OK I've never actually done this, but I would so love to). Or just the basic ability to buy something, anything online on amazon.
9) Public libraries (and free storytime) and public parks with playgrounds.
10) Traffic lights that people obey, and sane traffic.

On the other side of the spectrum, here are things I like about being abroad in Egypt.
1) Maya eating fresh, juicy, dribbly mango on the balcony with Mike, and it's not expensive.
2) Tibby, and the ability to afford a nanny for Maya.
3) The Ethiopian community generally (fits in with no. 2)
4) Subsidized gasoline
5) Fluffy Egyptian cotton towels
6) Labna (Arab bitter yoghurt - a major staple of our diet)
7) Free home delivery of everything from prescription drugs (no prescription needed) to groceries to restaurant meals.
8) The Veg Box
9) The weather (except in July and August)
10) Our friends and Maya's school (which I am liking again after recently suffering from school envy...)

No comments: