Earlier this week, on the third anniversary of the day we met Maya, Mike and I took her to Seattle for Ethiopian food. (We're on home leave visiting my parents for the holidays.) We had planned to take her to an Ethiopian hair salon to get her hair braided. But we had no luck at all finding an Ethiopian salon. The first one had no free slots open at a convenient time, the second said they didn't do braids, and the third was closed and didn't ever answer their phone. Very frustrating.
So today we tried again. This time we made an appointment with an African American salon in Seattle. We had to brave icy roads and put chains on the car to get there. But we had to go downtown anyway for Maya's annual well child checkup. She's doing great, by the way! She got two shots and didn't even cry!! When she saw the second needle she just looked up at the nurse and said: "Not so many, please".
Anyway, after her doctor visit we headed on down to her hair appointment. It was fantastic. They put Maya in a big chair with a booster seat and washed her hair in the sink. They combed it out, then wrapped her hair with a towel. Then they put her in another big chair with another booster seat in front of a full height mirror. Then they lotioned and blowdried her hair. And then they braided.
She chose to have braids, as she describes it, like "K"'s. K is a friend of hers from preschool who always has beautiful cornrows. So I asked for cornrows ending in two side ponytails. It looks super cute. She fell asleep on the way home from the salon, so I don't have any pictures to share just yet. But I was amazed how blowdrying her hair affects the braids. They are SO much longer that way. When I braid her hair, I do it when it is wet, and the braids end out much shorter.
The whole process took about 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Maya took four breaks. A potty break, a bagel break, and two more faux potty breaks. It was hard sitting still toward the end, but for the most part she was loving the pampering and attention, and flirting with everyone in the salon. And everyone in the salon was very welcoming to us and patient with Maya. After the braids were done, she pranced up to the front of the salon, held her hands in the air, and shouted: "I'm finished! Woohoo!!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Can't wait for pictures! And what a great three years it's been for our family--can't imagine us without Maya!/ Love, G'ma L.
Please please please post some pictures. My daughter is also Maya and her hair is ready for something. Unfortunately I live in a town with very little options if any. I have an adoptive mom who is learning herself and is willing to help me but I need something now :( Love to see pictures of your Maya for some inspiration.
Also wanted to note that my hubby was in Seattle just a day ago and told me about how icey roads. We live in ND and are used to it but I guess Seattle is so much different.
Take care,
Theresa
I appreciate the fact that you braid her hair and take her to the salon to get her hair braided! Hair is such a complex source of pride for black woman. It's important that it looks good at all times b/c we can never escape the politics of hair, unfortunately. Your daughter is beautiful :)
Post a Comment