Thursday, 30 October 2008

Unbelievable...

So this evening, our (bad) neighbors decided to blare music at about 50 million decibals for a huge dance party they were having. The source of the music is about four blocks away and across the railroad tracks. And it is so loud it is shaking our windows and I can't hear the TV in my living room, and I am worried it will wake up Maya (actually amazed she has not woken up yet).

So like any normal American, I called the police. They seemed kind of surprised and didn't seem to understand why I was complaining. They called me back three times to get me to explain the problem. I told them I wanted them to get the neighbors to turn down the music because it is obviously above the legal noise limit and was a public nuisance. Fine.

Twenty minutes later I get a knock at the door, and it is a detective come to investigate my complaint. Of course he immediately realises what the problem is. His solution? To say that the police will intervene if they are still at it by 11:30 p.m. What?? This is not a negotiation. I repeated that I was sure they were over the legal noise limit, and that I was sure other neigbors were also annoyed. He reluctantly said he would go to talk to them. Then, he asked ME for MY ID, for his report. Then he left.

Now it is 45 minutes later. And, I swear, the music is actually louder!! AAAAhhhhhhh!

Edit: OK, the police just called me on the phone to find out if I was satisfied. I told them the music was louder now. They said they had gone there, and the people had turned down the volume, but that they must have resumed the noise after they left. Wow! I was surprised that they followed through. They said they will go back. But it doesn't seem like the partygoers are inclined to listen to them...

No comments: