Friday, 25 July 2008

Maya's idea of time

Here is Maya's idea of time. Here is Maya's timeline of her life:

Life started when "I was a baby". As in: "Mommy, I was baby in Zamalek?" or "Mommy, I was a baby, I throw my 'opia hat out the window and I cry?"

After she was a baby, there was "last morning". Last morning runs from the time right after she was a baby to earlier today. As in "I ate a vitamin last morning (5 minutes ago) and I watch Barney?" or she could say "Last morning (yesterday) I had a swim lesson?" or "I go to the zoo last morning (2 months ago)?" Somehow time phrases are always questions. Not sure why.

Then we have the future-oriented "today", as in: "You go to work today, mommy?"

And we have "one minute" and "five minutes". This is used to delay as long as possible something she needs to do but doesn't want to.

And then we have a "couple days", a "couple weeks" or "five weeks". That is how long she perceives she has to wait for something she wants.

No comments: