Monday, 5 May 2008

Just dropped Maya off at preschool

I'm a bit sad about it, but Maya will be OK there. She was delaying getting ready this morning, not wanting to get dressed and saying she wanted to watch Sesame Street instead of getting ready. We bargained with her and let her watch a 5-minute Sesame Street video clip on Mike's computer while eating a yoghurt at the table.

We showed her what we had packed her for lunch, and that she had a little "treat" inside. In a retro baby moment, she then demanded to ride to preschool in her stroller rather than walk.

Once we got to the school, she was a bit nervous and clingy, and was playing with the other kids but also looking back to check that we were still there. After about 10-15 minutes, we told her it was time for us to go, and she walked us to the door and we left. And she was totally fine. No tears or anything! So we'll see how it went this afternoon...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor mommy!

If it's any reassurance, my kids both promised to be extra nice to Maya on her first day.

One thing that worked for us... when Bug first started his preschool/daycare in the US, he had a harder time transitioning when I dropped him off. We found out that kids usually have a harder time when being dropped off by one particular parent. So maybe it was harder to be dropped off by both of you? (Of course I know why you both went!) Our solution, in the short term, was for Mr. Four to drop him off instead of me. He never cried!

CINDY... said...

I wanted to tell you actually that both boys were super nice to Maya when we first arrived, and it's been nice to catch a glimpse of Giggle in his sort of protectively gentle older kid role!

Bug came out to give Maya a nice greeting when we came in, and later Giggle got out the blocks and sort of invited Maya to play as we were leaving. So they should definitely get credit for being nice today. I think Maya felt much more secure knowing they were there.

Kari said...

Okay, I got a little teary eyed for you after reading this! It's such a big deal, and one that we haven't dealt with yet, but one that I am dreading.

Glad to hear that she did so well though. Can't wait to hear how she does!

Anonymous said...

Cindy, it's so nice to hear nice stuff about my kids, especially stuff they do when I'm not around. So thank you.

Of course I realize much of the time Giggle wants to push Maya down the stairs so he can play with her toes and not worry about his flip flops.

Anonymous said...

Ha, play with her toys! Not her toes! Though maybe someday he'll want to play with her toes as well.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it went exceptionally well! It helps when she has friends she knows already for sure.

Glad you guys survived it.