Wednesday, 9 April 2008

Frustration, and a wish to be invisible

So last night, after Maya and I had both changed into our jammies and were watching the last few minutes of an Old School sesame street episode before bed, there was a knock at the door. When I got up to open it, cracking the door open just slighty, it was a real estate agent bringing a couple to view the apartment.

Naturally, he had not bothered to call in advance. And he also arrived after 7:30 p.m. despite instructions to our landlord that we were willing to show the apartment only before 7:30 p.m. and only with a pre-arranged appointment.

Anyway, the guy gave me some sob story about how the couple was traveling in the morning, and this was their only chance to see the apartment, blah, blah, blah. And because we do actually want to get our security deposit back when we leave this place, I decided to let them in.

So they come in. They see Maya.

Lady : Ooooooohhhh! Hi cutie. I've saw you before! I know you! Do you remember?

Me: (blank stare, thinking: I don't remember you at all)

Lady: I think we saw you in Maadi! With my daughter Yasmine! Do you remember Yasmine?

Me: Hmmm. Maybe! (But what I am really thinking is that we do go to Maadi a lot. But doesn't she know that EVERYONE in the universe remembers us. It doesn't mean we remember them)

Lady: Oh yes, it was at the Fish Market restaurant.

Me: Oh yes! (Feigned remembrance of a totaly unremembered event. But what am I supposed to say?)

Lady: Yes, you were there with her grandparents.

Me: Oh yes! (I was really thinking that all I remember from that trip to the Fish Market restaurant was the woman in niqab who kept asking Maya where her mommy was even though Maya was hanging on me and sitting in my lap as we waited for a table. And this woman was bare-headed. Obviously not the same person. So no, I didn't remember.)

Later, I had a vague recollection of Maya playing for a few minutes with a little girl from the next table over at the Fish Market. Maybe this is her daughter? I don't know.

What I don't understand is why people expect us to remember them. I understand that as a family, we are totally conspicuous and probably very memorable. So people remember us. But, quite honestly, there is no way I am going to remember every single person who saw us once and never forgot us. Because those people are forgettable to me. Aaaaahhhhh.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I so know what you mean.

It sounds like you're having a tough week. Hope it gets better. Is Mike home yet?

CINDY... said...

Mike's coming home tomorrow, and I'm so happy about that. Maya has actually been really great this whole time he has been gone, but I am just stretched too thin...

Anonymous said...

For whatever it's worth because this is not really the issue that you're writing about, but I think I remember Yasmine. She's a little older than Maya & was with her parents & what looked to be several extended family members. When we finally sat down, they were seated behind you & Michael so Rick & I were looking at them. I remember them because they were clearly done with dinner, but were sitting there smoking up a storm & I couldn't wait for them to leave! As they left, Maya & Yasmine actually saw each other & played briefly. Beyond the other issues that you are referring to as you write, Maya's friendliness means she makes friends just about wherever you go. How are you supposed to remember every situation???/ G'ma L.