Friday, 11 May 2007

Maya's first haircut


I finally gave Maya her first haircut -- well at least her first since we adopted her when she was eight weeks old. She had her head shaved when she entered the Children's Home Society care center in Addis Ababa, where rumor has it she had a full head of hair upon arrival.

Maya's normally beautiful and shiny hair had been starting to look scraggly at the ends in recent weeks, and Tiberh and I agonised over what to do with it. Maya is still way too young to go to the salon. She would never sit still for a trim, and scissors held by a stranger and a wiggly toddler head just don't mix for me. Plus there are no kid specialist places in Cairo that I know of.

Tiberh and I debated whether we should cut her hair while loose, or in tiny box braids. And we agonised over whether her hair should be wet or dry during the "procedure", whether Maya should be awake or asleep, and over how much to cut off.

In the end, Tiberh braided Maya's hair into about 50 tiny braids during her nap, and I cut them when i got home for work in the evening. I cut off about 3/4 of an inch from each braid. I think I cut it a little uneven in the front, and I was worried how it would look. But two days later, when I took out the braids and washed her hair, it looked fine. A little shorter than I'd imagined, but not bad for my first try. Thank goodness Maya has very forgiving curls! I'll try to post some post-haircut pictures later.

No comments: